Traditionally, crepe makers are equipped with a machined cast iron plate.
Before its first use, this type of electric or gas crepe maker requires a “seasoning”: this step is essential to protect the hotplate and give it its non-stick properties.
Count about 90 mins to make the seasoning of your appliance. This very simple step is detailed below.
With which accessory should I use to season my crepe maker ?
The seasoning of the traditional electric or gas crepe makers is made with a special pad. Specially developed by Krampouz, this new generation pad is certified food contact. It accompanies you in the use of your crepe maker by allowing you to make the seasoning, grease the plate between the crepes and wipe the residues present on the plate between two crepes…
Use of the pad
The Krampouz pad is used with wipes that clip to its stainless steel base. Depending on the use, the wipes can be used alone or stacked. We recommend that you use :
- 1 to 3 stacked wipes for occasional use, according to the desired comfort of use.
- 3 stacked wipes for intensive or professional use.
Pad & wires maintenance
- Clean the pad with a moist sponge after use. Do not put in the dishwasher; do not immerse.
- Clean the wipe with clean water after use. Replace the wipe when it shows signs of wear. Replace wipe according to the shelf life of foods wiped
- Electric crepe maker: 250 °C temperature setting. Begin seasoning at temperature.
- Thermostatically controlled gas crepe maker (lever graduated from 0 to 10) : Set the lever to position 6. Begin seasoning at temperature.
- Manually controlled gas crepe maker (lever graduated from 0 to 8) : Pre-heat on position 8 (large flame) for 6 minutes and then set the lever to 2 (small flame) for 4 minutes. Conduct seasoning on position 2.
How to make a successful seasoning?
Once the recommended temperature has been reached, simply follow the steps described below:
Seasoning time: 1 to 1½ hours
For the first 4 layers: pour 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil onto the plate. Spread uniformly using the pad. Allow to dry until there is no more smoke: 5 to 10 minutes.
From the 5th to the 9th layer: pour ½ teaspoon of vegetable oil onto the plate. Spread uniformly using the pad. Allow to dry until there is no more smoke: 5 to 10 minutes.
Last layer: pass the pad over the plate without adding fat.
End result: seasoning which looks like varnish, light chestnut in colour
For the first run, between each crêpe, grease the newly based plate well.
Tip: Dilute an egg yolk with oil, spread the mixture on the hot plate and wipe dry. This mixture allows you to complete the seasoning when the plate is sticking.